My journal of finding perspective and inspiration on a daily basis. Or you may just end up with ramblings. Either way I hope you enjoy and can be encouraged!
Monday, August 24, 2020
Follower Becoming Leader
I've been going through what I am sure many people in business have gone through, but I am struggling. About a year ago I was presented with a promotion at my job to become a leader. This is also known as a management position for most businesses, but we are claiming the term leader instead. I have learned over the last 6 months how inadequate I feel for this particular role. I have never been chosen for this kind of position before or even remotely recognized for my abilities in this manner. It is a true honor, but I have to tell you, it comes with a price. I had no idea the reprocussions that would ensue by taking this leadership role.
I am a people-pleaser. I hate to admit it, but I am. This is definitely been the hardest lesson for me to learn in being a leader is I cannot also be a people-pleaser. The two do not work in conjunction with one another. You would think that would be something someone as myself; a masters in counseling degree, would understand. Nope. I had no idea the efforts it would take to make sure I am not doing both characteristics. My co-workers will look at my differently. I really cannot be everyone's friend, nor should I look for friendship at work. That is probably a given anyway but still a lesson I am learning.
I guess the reason for this whole post is just another way of keeping me accountable to myself and as an outlet to express my growth lessons. The only person I need to care about and can really be myself with is my boss. I need to show up for work, do my job to the best of my ability, and then go home. Period. I can be kind to my co-workers, I can do my best to problem solve with them, but there is something that is separating me from them and that is on purpose.
In other news, COVID is still going rampant in our country. Many schools have started back up but majority of them are doing virtual learning. It is definitely strange times. We are still wearing masks everywhere we go. I wear one at work all day long. Some people still have not returned to work due to the pandemic. It's really a hard time for many. It has created levels of stress for so many people. 2020 is definitely going to go down in history books as one of the hardest years many people have had, including me. Moreso emotionally, not necessarily financially or physically but it's just been strange. Hopefully things can begin to get better and we can all adapt to this new way of doing life, ie. mask wearing. And I pray our country finds peace and new ways of joy throughout all the crisis in the world. God, please heal our land and help us to learn whatever lesson that perhaps You want us to learn.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment